Prof: Mark Lewis Wagner
From Home to the Print House
This last homework project takes you through the process of creating something on your computer and sending it to press. Postcard, brochers, posters, letterhead, stickers, business cards, and flyers.
For this demo I’ll be using PSPrint – www.psprint.com. Local to me in Emeryville, I’ve been using their services to basically print postcards/business cards for years. I can pick up completed jobs at will call and avoid shipping.
Go to PsPrint Free Sample Kit and have them mail you their samples. Good to see and have as examples.
Using Templates and Layout Guidelines
• Pick a product. I picked postcard/standard.
• Download Template
File Type – PSD (for this demo – Photoshop)
Size: 4 x 6, General
A template will download – open this in Photoshop
• The template resolution by default is 300 dpi (dots per inch), 4.25 x 6.25 in.
The color mode set to CMYK. Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black
Remember our destination is print, not the web, so we don’t care about pixel count, just inches.
• There is a BLEED area that requires that the art is slightly larger so that there is a clear area to cut.
• There is also a SAFE blue line that all TEXT need to be inside of.
• See the video of “How to use our layout guidelines for Photoshop.”
• You will add artwork and text. In the end you delete the template and flatten your file. The follow directions to order, select what you want, how many (compare prices and print numbers). You pay for your order and then follow directions to upload your files.
Create a design piece using a downloaded template. And incorporate the following.
1) SKECTHBOOK drawings
2) CAMERA photographs
(1 for a B, 2 for and A)